As of late October 2016, it became legal to purchase Cuban cigars from outside the US and have them brought into, or mailed into, the US. Due to copyright protection law, it remains illegal to sell Cuban cigars within the US. So you can legally purchase Cuban cigars from outside the USA, but not at your local shop, nor any internet company located within the USA.
Cigar Quality Issues
Just how good are Cuban cigars? Prior to the year 2000, every cigar that CIGAR AFICIONADO magazine rated 95 or higher was Cuban! So are Cuban cigars still that good? The simple answer is no. In the last 18 years, only 20% of the cigars rated 95 and higher by CIGAR AFICIONADO were from Cuba. The other 80% are now made in Dominican Republic, Honduras and Nicaragua. In fact, of the "Top 25 Cigars of 2017" picked by CIGAR AFICIONADO during December 2017, the highest-rated Cuba made cigar received only a 94 rating, while cigars made in Dominican Republic and Nicaragua scored higher, receiving ratings of 95, 96 and 97!